Saturday, August 1, 2015

Guarding Your Heart

The fact that we guard ourselves at all reveals that there is something to be guarded against: destructive dynamics; evil. But we should be mindful of what we are guarding ourselves against. Sometimes we are attempting to guard our self against something that cannot be guarded against, in which case the guarding itself becomes the problem--like bracing against chronic pain. Bracing against chronic pain does not alleviate, rather it exacerbates the pain.
One very important thing to guard yourself against is this: the part of you that resists the truth about  yourself. Knowledge of the truth about you brings you closer to God, Who is Truth. To resist the truth about yourself is to resist your own freedom; the freedom that can only come with spiritual growth. Spiritual growth moves us into the Love that frees us from the need to be guarded--as Jesus did not guard Himself from the Cross.
If I do not guard myself against the part of me that resists the truth about me, I will guard myself against the truth about me. This will create a dark place in me from which Satan can do his destructive work.

No comments:

Post a Comment