Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Some Delusions We Live By


Some Delusions We Live By [And Their Results]

 

1.       Delusion of co-dependence:  “I can only be happy if someone changes.” [Results in a frustrating life of trying to make someone happy {so you can be happy} or getting them to love you, grow up, stop using drugs, etc.]

2.       Delusion of addiction: “I can only feel good when I am using/acting out my addictive behaviors; and somehow this is going to turn out alright—or at least, I don’t have to think about it, especially when I am using/acting out.” [Results in deterioration of the personality, jail, psychiatric hospital, death, or recovery.]

3.       Delusion of domestic abuse:  “I can force someone to love me or find happiness in making someone dependent on me or imprisoning them in my domain of control.” [Results in a miserable life of enslavement for the spouse, and constant, vigilant insecurity for the controller.]

4.       Delusion of materialism: “At some point I will accumulate enough to be at peace.” [How much is enough? Always a little bit more.]

5.       Delusion of romance: “I can only be happy if I am ‘in love.’  If I don’t have romantic feelings for my mate, it is his/her fault; or even if not, I must find a new mate to be ‘in love’ with.” [Results in a lonely, frustrated old age.]

6.       Delusion of denial: “If I can avoid the difficult truth about myself long enough, it will go away, or I will die and never have to face it.  If others don’t know it, it will not hurt me.” [Results in desperate alienation.]

7.       Delusion of anxiety:  “There is something other than God to fear.” [Results in, well, anxiety.]

8.       Delusion of victimhood:  “I could have been happy if they had not done what they did to me, or if they would stop doing it. My unhappiness is their/his/her fault.” [Results in depression, feelings of hopelessness, much complaining, resentment, chronic anger, passive aggression, or quiet desperation.]

9.       Delusion of inferiority: “I am not as good as others, therefore I have to prove that I am equal, or at least OK. I must point out others’ faults so they will see they are no better than me.” [Results in good feelings when others fail. A constant nagging sense of not being good enough. Competitiveness. Workaholism. Judgementalism. Tendency to gossip. Critical spirit.]

10.   Delusion of entitlement:  “I deserve a good life, good treatment, smooth sailing, good service, being loved, sex any way I like it, pleasure and comfort.” [Results in chronic frustration of life/people not giving me what I feel entitled to.]

11.   Delusion of guilt:  “I have done something—many things, I’m not sure exactly what, that is shameful and unforgivable, and puts me forever outside the grace of God and all good and decent people. I do not belong with those who are really good. If they really knew me, they would despise me or reject me.” [Results in failure to draw near to God, avoidance of church, and/or feelings of alienation.]

No comments:

Post a Comment