Thursday, March 10, 2016

Happiness

Just now I think I am about as happy as anybody ought to be; happiness being the moving target that it is.
Sometimes still, though, I'm tempted to think it's "out there somewhere; beyond the next horizon; around the next curve." I hear rumors of people who've found it in the French Quarter or Colorado. But I've moved around enough to know the new wears off everywhere and you're left with the same challenge, more or less: Learning how to use what you've got to bring more Love and/or Truth and/or Beauty into the world; that happiness is the by-product of that endeavor. Happiness without that endeavor is, I believe, a form of pathology; a defect in character; a facsimile of the real thing. That challenge [to bring more Love, Truth and Beauty into the world] becomes the next horizon; the next curve in the road; the great opportunity and adventure of every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment