Monday, August 13, 2018

Depression: Fighting Back


Here are some suggestions that will push back the darkness of depression. Try to practice them every day whether you feel like it or not. Blessings.

GRAPES is a mnemonic acronym for
  • G is for be Gentle to yourself / Practice Gratitude
  • R is for Relaxation
  • A is for Accomplishment
  • P is for Pleasure
  • E is for Exercise
  • S is for Social / Spiritual
I try to do all of these every day of my life, whether or not I am depressed. GRAPES really works for me. For example, I might pay some bills, do my laundry, or clean my kitchen - that would be an accomplishment. And I might go to the local donut shop or coffeehouse to socialize there with friends or strangers. Or I might call up a friend and go for a brisk walk in the park for an hour - that would be both social and exercise, or just exercise if I walk alone which is also fine. The more of these I do the better I feel, though I know from experience that accomplishment and social are the most effective for me. Sounds like a pain in the ass, right? Well, it's not; it now comes naturally to me to do all six every day, and it makes a big difference.” {A testimony}
Elaborating on these activities:
Gentle with yourself: One aspect of depressive toxicity is negative self-talk; down-putting, self-critical thoughts. The first step is to become aware of your thoughts. Then practice getting outside the stream of negative or useless thinking into a place of deep self-acceptance, receiving forgiveness, and feeling the Love of God. This is a process. Be patient with yourself. Gratitude: The Bible teaches us to be thankful in all situations [1Thes.5:18]. This is a choice that, when made consistently, lifts our souls heavenward.
Relaxation: Peace is not an illusion; it is real and attainable. Jesus said “Peace I give to you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives.” Jn 14:27 Be still and know that He is God. Psalm 46:10. Immerse yourself in nature. Look for beauty. Breathe deep. In the universal sense, all is well in Christ.
Accomplishment: Every day do something that manifests what you value most in life. Be a physical manifestation of your values. Get something done, no matter how small.
Pleasure: Enjoy something every day: Nature. Children. Pet/s. Notice the Beauty all around you. Inspirational literature. Music. A pleasant conversation. Food.  etc.
Exercize: Your body is built for movement. The pleasure chemicals in the brain are released with physical activity. Listen to your body and give it what it needs. Feel the wonder of your body. Don't be critical of the shape or condition of your body; be thankful for the miracle that it is!
Social/Spiritual: We live in the context of relationships, and none of us does well in isolation. Stay connected with God and with friends with whom you can be authentic. If you are driving your friends away with negativity, get some therapy. Dump and process your negativity with the therapist and learn how to be a better friend. If there is anything between you and God, process through it. Remember God loves you more than you have ever or will ever love anyone; whether you can feel it or not! Love someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment