Friday, July 11, 2014

Elder and Young Disciple Story

Here is a story for you:

The elder and the young disciple were walking along together, in deep communion in the Spirit.
"Where is your joy?' the elder asked the young disciple.
"My joy is in heaven, sir, awaiting me at the end of my sufferings in this fallen world."
"Where is your life?" asked the elder.
"My life is in Christ, sir."
"Indeed.  And where is Christ?'
"He is in me, and I am in him."
"Well spoken.  And does he not also sit at the right hand of God in heaven?" the elder asked.
"Yes sir.  In the mysterious way that we are seeking to understand, and is beyond comprehension, and yet comprehensible, he does, indeed sit at the right hand of God in heaven."
"And His (and therefore also your) presence in heaven is a present reality, then, is it not?"
"In some manner, sir, it is indeed a present reality, according to God's holy word."
"Then is it possible that the fullness of joy might be a present, as well as future reality?'

(After a few moments of reflection:)

"Where sir, if I may ask, is your joy?" asked the disciple to the elder, as they continued to walk in communion.



"My joy is in communion with you in this moment; in learning and teaching.  And if you ask about my joy when I sit to eat, I will tell you that my joy is in the taste, smell, and nourishment of the food that God has caused to come forth from the earth - and in thankfulness for it.  Or if you ask when I am lying down to sleep at night, I will tell you that my joy is in sleep that rests and heals my body and mind from the daily occupations.  And if you ask in the morning, I will tell you that my joy is in the daily resurrection - in the wondrous gift of God's recreation of a brand new day of life!  And if you ask me while I am sick, in the hospital, I will tell you that my joy is in the hands of those who minister to me, those who care enough to pray for me, My joy is in the goodness of heart of those who visit, call or write; and in the wonder of my body as it does it's healing work.  And if you ask me while I am in pain, I will tell you that my joy is in the truth that crystallizes like a diamond in the crucible of pain - of the spiritual growth that comes when I offer my pain to God.  And if you ask me in my home, I will tell you that my joy is in the willingness of my wife to serve me and to make my life more joyful; and in the openness, vulnerability, and love-hunger of my children; and in satisfying that hunger.  And if you ask me while I work, I will tell you that my joy is in my vocation which provides a meaningful and practical channel for the outpourings of the energies of my life.  And if you ask me on my death bed, I will tell you that my joy is in the sure and steadfast hope of the greater joy and freedom that awaits me just beyond death's door."

"And where, sir, if I may ask further, is the joy of Christ in all these joys?"  (The elder was secretly very pleased with the disciple for asking this question.)

"The joy of Christ, my son, is the joy from which all these joys spring.  It is the well-spring that feeds the stream that waters the land from which all these joys (like flowers) bloom.  And the joys that spring forth along this stream are infinite, immeasurable, indescribable.  And the well-spring, and the stream, and the land and the flowers are all the joy of Christ."

A peaceful quiet settled over the young disciple and the elder.  There was no longer any need for words.  The sun shone through the trees, the birds were singing, and a butterfly flitted across their pathway. 
The young disciple was thinking that the world had never seemed more beautiful.
                                                                                       
                                                                                                             Mark Graham


No comments:

Post a Comment