Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sacrifice of Joy: Help for Depression


 
Below is a letter from a friend and client who was kind enough to share it with me. I'm sure this will be helpful to someone--maybe you!

Hello Mark,
 
I’ve had something on my heart to share with you for a while but for whatever reasons have not taken the time to do so but when I thought of it again today, I knew it was time.
 
I know in your practice you deal with people who suffer with depression, whether genetic, circumstance induced or both; it is a real struggle. I was going through a time myself when I read this and it helped me through. I hope that it might help with your clients or even inspire a devotion.
 
Psalm 27:6 “And now shall mine head be filled up above mine enemies round about me; therefore will I offer the sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises to the Lord."
 
The part that struck me at the time and caused me to think was “sacrifices of joy”. I realized that in my depression I could offer a sacrifice of joy and that it is truly a sacrifice when a person is depressed because  you are not feeling it; it’s something that in that time you have dig deep down below your feelings, put them aside and take whatever time is necessary to do that in order to find joy. Making yourself do that is a sacrifice because it takes all of your strength.  In order to find it I “sang praises”. I don’t have a voice for singing so I didn’t actually sing, but my heart did. Smile My praises started with being thankful for so many things. This being thankful is a variation on what you encourage throughout your devotions. I was not just thankful for the things I have but really thankful for the encouragement through God’s word and that so many years ago he could foresee that His people would need to know about offering the sacrifice of joy; joy when you don’t feel it; joy when it takes everything within you to seek and find. And as I mentioned, I had to take the time necessary to do this recalling one your devotions referencing Psalm 131:2 “I have calmed and quieted my soul”. I had to consciously do this and quiet myself long enough to find joy and in finding it offering it up as my sacrifice.
 
Later in that same chapter vs. 14 “Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart, wait I say on the Lord”.
 
While I am seeking and finding joy and offering it as a sacrifice in spite of how I feel; I have the promise that I will have the strength to offer that sacrifice and also strength to overcome the depression; that my whole heart will be strengthened. How wonderful this is! I had to concentrate on this daily until my depression subsided. And I am so thankful that when it attempts to overcome me again; God causes me to recall that I have to quiet myself and offer this sacrifice of joy.
 
I hope I have been able to express how very much this meant and the intensity of it and truly hope it can be used to help someone else. There are so many people who struggle with depression. I am thankful for you and others in your profession who are blessed with the gift and have the knowledge to help others.
 
Thank you for being my friend, brother and counselor. I am thankful for Lynn also who I know has been an encourager to you in your practice and who is an example for all women (even tho I have never met her).
 
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment